Friday, July 12, 2013

Religious Thought 279


“Water is sufficient to cleanse the body, But only truthfulness will purify the mind. Not all lamps are effective lamps. The lamp of nonlying is the wise man's lamp. Among all great truths which we have ever beheld, Not one can equal the goodness of veracity.”

- Tirukkural, 30: 298-300
__._,_.___

“"Where, for instance, is the identity of myself? There's a special quality that makes me different from everything else and also from all other selves. And I want that identity, my own self, to continue. So where does that identity dwell?" "Where indeed?" asked the Buddha. "That self to which you cling is in constant change. Years ago you were a baby, then a youth, and now a man. Which is your true selfthat of yesterday, that of today, or that of tomorrow which you so long to preserve?" "I see I have misunderstood things," replied Kutadanta slowly, "and although I find it hard to endure the light, the truth now dawns on me that there is no separate and enduring self. I will take my refuge in your teaching and find that which is continuing and everlasting in the truth."”

- Majjhima Nikaya
__._,_.___

“A man went back to transgressing after he had sincerely asked forgiveness of God and swore never to sin again. "How will God forgive me this time?" he asked in despair. A heavenly voice responded, "You obeyed Me and I made amends for you, then you abandoned Me and I indulged you, and now that you returned to Me I shall receive you."”

- Al-Hujwiri, "The Kashf al-Mahjub
__._,_.___

“Let nothing upset you, Let nothing frighten you. Everything is changing; God alone is changeless. Patience attains the goal. Who has God lacks nothing; God alone fills all their needs.”

- Theresa of Avila
__._,_.___

“Days are scrolls: write on them what you want to be remembered.”

- Bahya ibn Pakuda, "Hovot HaLevavot"
__._,_.___

No comments:

Post a Comment